"As always, you do a wonderful job speaking. Everyone loved your talk. The attendees couldn't stop talking about how much they learned from you. thank you!" Bob Waggoner, Customer Service, Desert Oasis Hospice, Phoenix, AZ
"You sparked many new ideas, were animated an engaged the audience." Nikki Lemmon, CEO, Lemmontree Marketing, Tempe, AZ
You're knowledge of dementia and the aging process was priceless for me. You championed our needs." B. Ralf, Coaching Client, Educator, Baltimore, MD
"Karen is a passionate speaker with enormous energy and the ability to energize and educate others." Linda Kuhn, Marketing Director multiple Senior Living Communities, Phoenix, AZ
With so much information available, it can be overwhelming to locate just the right information.
Sign up for my NEWSLETTER, where I list new resources as I locate them, follow MY BLOGS, where I review resources or join me on TWITTER and let's have a conversation about good resources.
Below you'll find some recommendations in a variety of categories to help you.
Life Transition and Personal Growth
- Barbara Atkins, 70 Is The New 40, Best selling author & life transition coach
Communication, Generational and Wordology Specialists
Brain Fitness, for Seniors
- Dakim Brain Fitness, specifically for seniors
Brain Fitness, for all ages
- Fit Brains
- Posit Science
- Sharp Brains (follows what is happening in the brain fitness industry)
Associations, Specializing in Aging Services (Be sure to check for a local chapter. Local chapter services vary. Sometimes a national office is excellent while it's local chapter has some challenges. Other times a local chapter excels.)
(Many of these organizations have free printed materials, CD's or DVD's available with information that will be useful as you evaluate aging services. Just ask.)
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- National Association for Professional Geriatric Care Managers
- National Council on Aging
- Assisted Living Federation of America
- Center for Health Transformation
Longevity, Positive Aging, Centenarian Research
- National Centenarian Awareness Project, founder Lynn Adler
- Blue Zones, Dan Buettner (book and website)
- Dr. Mehmet Oz (website and TV show)
- If I Live To Be 100 by Neenah Ellis
- Jack LaLanne (some say the original fitness guru)
Dementia and Alzheimer's Dementia
(The current statistics in 2009 show that 20% of the population 65 years and older, already has dementia and 50% of those oer the age of 85 already have dementia. Much of the population is undiagnosed. Know the signs. Learn what you can do today to slow or postpone dementia. If someone you know has dementia, learn what you can do to help them have the highest quality of life possible for as long as possible.)
- Arizona Alzheimer's Consortium (The 1st Alzheimer's Without Borders concept.)
- Excellence in Care
- Alzheimer's Association, national and local webistes
- The Alzheimer's Research and Prevention Organization Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D.
The Hartford Insurance Company partnered with MIT's AgeLab to produce a series of excellent booklets you can download or order free copies. These booklets focus on safe driving and disaster planning. It is challenging to find the words to have "the conversation" about when it is no longer safe to drive either from a physical standpoint or when dementia plays a part. Check out this series. You'll be glad you did.